FaMiLy CuLtUrE (each is unique)

 

People talk a lot about countries and groups of people and how they have different cultures. Quite a few of these cultures are apparent and are seen easily from outsiders. However, there are some cultures that aren't as apparent. These are family cultures. Each family has their own culture. They have different views, rules, expectations, ways of living, etc. I find these different family cultures super fascinating. I hope as I talk about family cultures today that it will get you thinking about what your personal family cultures are or things you want to incorporate within your family culture. If nothing else, recognizing that family cultures exist will maybe help you better understand people and why everyone is so different. A lot of these differences between each other are because of family culture. What is normal for you and your family might be super strange to another individual and family. Being informed about family cultures will help us have more love, understanding, compassion, and patience for others.

Where do these family cultures come from? I believe that there are many ways that these family cultures come to be.

Some family cultures might be influenced by other outside cultures. A personal example of this for me is: In our family we would read from scriptures every day together as a family. We would discuss how we can come closer to God and then we would pray together. I would consider this as part of my family’s culture. My family and I are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and this practice of reading scriptures and praying as a family is encouraged with in our faith. We have adopted this encouragement into our family and have made it our own. This is an example of how my family culture has been influenced by an outside culture.

I also think parts of a family culture are shaped by the interests and passions of each family member. For example, in my family we love playing sports! We participate in school sports as well as playing sports together. When we get together with our extended family, we set up a volleyball net on the grass and play some fun and competitive games of volleyball. This is just a part of our family culture and it has become such because we enjoy it and it creates fun bonding experiences.

I believe that many family cultures exist or are created without us even realizing it. Sometimes family cultures simply come about because they make things run smoother within the family. Another personal example of this in my family is what we call the buddy system. As I may have mentioned before, I am the second oldest of nine kids. Believe it or not, nine kids are really hard for my mom and my dad to watch over and help. To ease the load on my mom and my dad, my parents decided to do a buddy system. In my family this meant that one of the older kids was paired up with one of the younger kids and they would help them. This was used a lot, especially on family trips and during mealtimes. I can’t count the number of times that I heard my parents say, “make sure you help your buddy.”

Not all family cultures are helpful or healthy. Some family cultures might be helpful to one child but on the other hand be emotionally damaging for another child. This is one of the reasons why it is important to think about your own family culture. Ask yourself if you think they are helpful and if they are creating a loving atmosphere for all your children. If not then don’t worry, family culture can change. It’s a lot of hard work but it is possible.

Comments