The Roles Within A Family

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that there are prophets and apostles on the earth today. They are God’s mouthpiece, and they teach us truth that God wants us to know. As we follow the prophets and apostles’ words, we are following God’s words. This is why it is so important and beneficial for us to stay close to the prophets and heed their guidance. Because as we do that, we are staying close to God and His plan as well. 

In 1995 the prophet came out with direction from God. It is called The Family: A Proclamation to the World. In it, it states, 

“By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation.”

This is a confusing part to many individuals and a lot of people have a different way of interpreting it. So today I just want to share some of my personal opinions, interpretations, and effects that this revelation has had on my life.

Growing up in my family, my dad went to work, and my mom stayed home with us kids from the time we were babies to today still. While my dad was at work my mom would take care of all us kids, drive us to our different activities, watch over the house, make meals and other things like that. Then my dad would come home from work and help my mom with these responsibilities. In the evenings we’d often all spend time together talking, laughing, playing games, working, etc. I would not trade this for the world. And I cannot stress how important I feel that this is. I believe that this is what The Family: A proclamation to the World meant when it lays out the roles of a mother and a father within a family. And from personal experience I have seen how much this has impacted my life, my family’s life, and other families that strive to follow its counsel in this way. The blessing it was to have my mom at home with me and my siblings was one of the biggest blessings of my life. 

While I know that this is not possible for every single family and that “other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation” -as it puts it in The Family: A Proclamation to the World- I don’t feel that purely a different desire, preference, or out of comfort is enough to interpret this counsel differently. 

“The differences between men and women are not simply biological. They are woven into the fabric of the universe, a vital, foundational element of eternal life and divine nature.” (“The family is intended by God as the great entryway into mortal life.” (Bruce D. Porter “Defending the Family in a Troubled World,” Ensign, June 2011))

Our gender/roles are not just a mortal thing. It's eternal! It has an impact on us before this life, during this life, and after this life. 

Heavenly Father wants us to understand that He appreciates and loves what each gender has to offer. Both are needed. Differences are needed and those differences play a key part in His plan. He intentionally made us with different roles, talents, and purposes. My personal opinion is that Heavenly Father has spelled out quite clearly what He expects of both genders and their roles within the family. I am not saying that this is an easy way/choice for everyone. It takes a lot of sacrifice. But it is so worth it! The way that God has outlined the roles within a family, work! There is so much joy to be found in choosing to follow His guidance. 

Comments