Involve the Lord

     There are so many choices to make in life! It’s insane! All these choices can be really overwhelming! I think one of the biggest choices that someone can make in life- and therefore, makes it overwhelming in a lot of ways- is who to marry and when to get married. Deciding to get married is a decision that will affect your life forever. I also think it is one of those decisions that you never feel all the way prepared to make. With that being said there are definitely things that help in this decision process. Today I want to talk about the divine help that God has lovingly given to us, to aid us in these huge decisions. This divine gift is called the Holy Ghost. In my Family Relations class this week, we have been talking about the importance of involving God in this process and listening to the Spirit. I have loved what we have talked about and I want to share some of my personal thoughts about this topic:

    I do not think I could even begin to express how important it is to involve the Lord in deciding who and when to marry. I have a strong testimony that He can see the big picture. He knows my potential perfectly. He knows my desires better than I know my own. Sometimes, I don’t even know what I want in life or who I want to become. But He does. I never fully understand the consequences of my choices. But He does. Because He knows, I know that I need to turn to Him for direction in life. I know that He cares and wants me to be happy. And because He does, I know that He will lead and guide me. He will answer my prayers. I already feel His guidance. I definitely do not know all the answers, but I trust that He is guiding me. It has taken faith and courage and trust to follow through with the guidance He has given me. But I have already felt Him helping me. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost and the way it speaks to me. The Holy Ghost is crucial in making decisions in my life. I could not imagine trying to make a decision that has such big consequences tied to it, all on my own. That would just be a disaster!

    I love the scripture Doctrine and Covenants chapter 6, verse 14. It says, “Blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit. If it had not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the place where thou art at this time.”

    I love this! This shows the importance of involving God in all decisions but especially this decision. I love how this points out how often times God is leading us and we may not initially notice. This definitely creates an element of faith. I feel like this scripture also points out that God really wants to be involved. He wants to lead and guide us. He wants us to be happy and so He is going to help us in deciding who and when to marry. Isn’t that so comforting? We don’t have to make all these big decisions on our own.

    I want to share one more quote that I feel like ties all my thoughts together:

    “He is our perfect Father. He loves us beyond our capacity to understand. He knows what is best for us. He sees the end from the beginning. He wants us to act to gain needed experience.” (Learning to Recognize Answers to Prayer, October 1989, Elder Richard G. Scott)

Comments